Sunday, September 14, 2008

21...

...the number of miles I walked yesterday in Portland with Sarah and Chris (and many others who, like them, train with Portland Fit). Most of those involved yesterday are, like us, training for the Portland Marathon on October 5th. I can't even imagine walking 26.2 miles in just three short weeks, when 21 almost killed me! But hey, WE DID IT! And it was a beautiful walk. We crossed two of Portland's many bridges over the Willamette, walked twice along the waterfront, and enjoyed the views from many vantage points. After the walk, which took us almost six hours, we gratefully piled into Chris' car and headed to Baja Fresh for lunch. I wish I had pictures of us trying to exit the car and walk into the restaurant. We didn't know whether to laugh or cry! Everything hurt - our legs, heels, toes, backs, and pretty much everything else. We had to literally lift our legs from the car, one by one, because we had no strength left. And we just had to laugh at how we painfully hobbled around. After lunch, we went back to the Brosnan abode, where we soaked in their hot tub. Ahhhhhhh.... now THAT felt like heaven! Today I am feeling much better, and feel good about yesterday's accomplishment. But am I excited about walking even more miles on October 5th? Well, sort of. The cause is wonderful, and I know now that I will probably be able to finish the course. I've already decided that I won't try to work the day after the marathon - I think I'll need a recovery day!

5 comments:

Chris and Sarah said...

I'm gonna take the day off, too! I know I'll need it.

Kent Schnake said...

Wow! I remember going on a 13 mile hike when I as a boy scout, and that felt really hard. I've never walked anything close to 21 miles in one day. Great work!

More Dorrs said...

NICE ONE MOM!!

Unknown said...

Nice work...

BruceandBarbara said...

Good job! You'll make the 21 miles!