Sunday, May 18, 2008

Pharming in Philomath - or is it Farming in Filomath???

Farming is hard work! Hannah and Beka and I worked last week at clearing out three of our raised beds, and Mark tilled them yesterday morning and worked in some compost. Then in the evening, in order to avoid the heat of the day, the girls went to work. They decided that this will be called THE FARM, rather than the dainty "garden" we've had in the past. So, into the beds went peas, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, and basil. Lettuce and broccoli will be transplanted when our seed starts are big enough to put in the beds. I watched as they worked, as I'd been feeling lousy all day with the flu, but I managed to chronicle the event in pictures.
Planting those very tiny carrot seeds. Do those instructions say three or four seeds per inch? Wait, maybe we got a few more seeds in the rows than that... oh well, we'll thin 'em later! The peas were much easier - bigger and easier to count!
Hannah was already sunburned from a previous outing in the afternoon - but she braved the elements again - anything for the cause!
An occupational hazard that all good farmers know about - mosquitoes! Hannah had at least eight bites on her arms and legs, and Beka counted seventeen on her back. Next time, girls, put on your farmer overalls, OK?
My big contribution - making the stakes to mark the rows.
Beka putting in the tomatoes. Look for more posts as the garden - oops, I mean FARM - grows!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome....I wish I had that much space to grow yummy things!

Chris and Sarah said...

I planted some tomatoes... Race ya!

christinaandbrian said...

what and incredible farm! i am going to start small this year maybe with a garden in a pot or something. i'm excited that summer is almost here and all the fresh veggies!!!

BruceandBarbara said...

How sweet of your girls to work in your garden! I hope you are feeling better!

Tres Dorrs said...

now all you need are chickens