Sunday, December 7, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot (or at least somewhat) like Christmas

We were encouraged to wear our Christmas finery to Doxology this morning and the rule was: the tackier the better. Since Sarah had borrowed my worst sweater for her own tacky parties (you're welcome, daughter), I was left to wear my teacher Christmas sweater. I like it way better anyway.
Mark was all decked out in his Santa hat, green turtleneck, Santa t-shirt, and his holly bow tie with blinking berries.
After church it was time to put up the outdoor lights. Among the many things I thank God for about my dear husband is the fact that he genuinely enjoys decorating for Christmas. He always hauls the old boom box outside and cranks the Christmas tunes while he strings up the lights.
Here is the view of the house from the street tonight.
No pictures of our tree yet. We bought a live tree yesterday (a Nordmann fir) with the idea of planting it in our yard after Christmas. We did that a time or two years ago, but not recently, so that will be fun. The only problem with a live tree is that it's not advisable to leave the tree indoors for more than 5-7 days. So, we carried it to the back deck so we can see it from the sliding doors, but we'll wait to bring it in and decorate it until around the 20th.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

You're house looks lovely! (I stumbled on your blog while wasting time blog surfing) The 'christmas jingle caught' my eye.
Oh I would so love to have my house all trimmed in lights but it's really too high (3 1/3 stories given it's on a bit of a hill and the basement is half above ground in the front of the house.)
So I make do with putting net lights on the trees and a few lawn ornaments.

I'll have to take some photos and post them.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!

The house looks amazing!!! You guys did an amazing job. SOO SOO many lights!! LOVE IT xoxox

Chris and Sarah said...

1) Dad, you are sporting an uncomfortable amount of Christmas cheer in that getup. I respect it more than words can say. Congrats!
2) Mom, even when you are wearing a tacky sweater, you look squishably cute and festive.
3) Do more critters live in live trees than chopped ones?
4) Your place looks pretty!

Unknown said...

Interesting idea with the live tree. I have never heard of that before. Is it smaller or still pretty good size?

Pretty house!