Friday, September 10, 2010

Meeting Karen...

I enjoyed a very special evening last night with Sarah and Beka. We went to the home of #1 best-selling Christian fiction author Karen Kingsbury for an adoption baby shower. The event was being held as a fundraiser for a young couple who are adopting a son from Ethiopia (Jake and Beka knew of this couple through their own extensive networking with other adoptive families, which is how we came to know about it and receive an invitation). Of course, since we have a sweet, precious grandson from that same country, the shower provided the perfect opportunity for the three of us to help support another couple who want to bring their baby home as soon as possible.

Karen and her husband have six children, three of whom are biological, and three who are adopted from Haiti (we were able to meet all five of her delightful sons, including the three from Haiti). She spoke eloquently to her guests about her family's adoption experience, sharing stories that were both touching and downright hilarious. Afterward, she was available to sign copies of her books. I purchased her book, Like Dandelion Dust, which she signed for me. Because that particular book speaks to the topic of adoption, I wanted it dedicated to our dear Ayeresam:
Karen has also recently established a foundation to aid families who are in the adoption process. Called the One Chance Foundation, one of its primary goals is to provide financial support to families wishing to adopt. It was such a lovely evening. If you haven't read Karen's books, I would encourage you to do so. Her fiction has great depth, and will definitely encourage you in your walk with Christ. I have read most of what she has written, and her stories never fail to touch my heart. The main thing that impressed me last night was her reminder that we have "One chance to write the story of our lives," so live every day loving well, laughing often, and finding true life in Jesus Christ. It was such an honor to meet her, and an even greater joy to be able to spend the evening with two of my girls.

1 comment:

Sueso said...

So happy for you Jo! Especially being with your two girls part! I love having a daughter! Karen is such a giving person and I do love reading her books! Thanks for sharing your experience! Sue xoxo