Tuesday, August 19, 2008
DFC3 is history, part 3 - the hike(s)!
Next on our family campout agenda came the infamous Mt. St. Helens hike. After our picnic lunch, we took a hike to a viewpoint where one could see Spirit Lake. This little 2-mile trek (in each direction) was a harrowing walk along a very skinny trail, with an upwards-cliff on one side, and a downwards-cliff on the other. The drop-off was several THOUSAND feet. Beka led the way along the scariest part - mostly, I think, because she wanted to get it over with! At the viewpoint, Jake just scampered out to the outermost spot, with a goal of scaring his mother to her very DEATH! Mark led me out a little way at that lookout point, and that was as far as I could (or would) go.
Sarah and Chris look as handsome and beautiful as ever - and not a bit scared.
A look at the skinny trail - what were we thinking??? We are crazy.
This is the view of the lake. I'm glad it was beautiful, since we risked our very lives to see it.
Sarah and Chris at the viewpoint.
My beautiful baby Hannah.
I'll admit it - this is the awful picture of me actually shedding a tear when Jake ran to the edge of the precipice.
Sarah and Chris back on the safe side of the mountain.
Mark and Hannah rest for a bit.
The daring Jake and his brave wife Beka.
At this point on our hike, Hannah was leading the pack.
Hannah at the viewpoint.
The next day, we started out by hiking (again), this time to the top of Beacon Rock, which is along the Columbia River on the Washington side. Here is a view on the way up.
At one point, I asked Sarah and Chris, who had hiked this rock before, just how much further it was to the top. "Oh, I'd say we're about halfway there," was her cherry response. GROAN. Just look at all those switchback trails yet ahead.
A photo op along the way.
Sarah at the top. Beautiful, no? (both Sarah and the view, that is)
A look at the Columbia Gorge in the other direction - east, this time.
After surviving yet another hike, we headed to Bonneville Dam, where we first toured the visitor's center on the Washington side (boo - old and outdated), then on the Oregon side (yeah - well done).
Just a little reminder from George to wear your life jackets.
Many fish at the hatchery on the Oregon side.
A big, bad, very old sturgeon - Herman, I think.
In the foreground is a new generator (or is it a turbine?) that is being installed at the dam.
And, since we were just longing to go on yet another hike, we walked to Wahclella Falls, which is just east of Multnomah Falls.
It was a powerful falls, and very, very pretty.
Beka and her mother-in-law!
That evening, we concluded the third annual Dorr Family Campout by eating out at Dalo's Kitchen, famous for its Ethiopian food. In honor of Baby Dorr's upcoming adoption, we enjoyed authentic dishes from Ethiopia. Yummy! The large bread in the middle of the table, called injera, was especially good.
Mark's eyes were watering and he broke a sweat eating one of his spicier dishes.
And Jake was chowing down so fast that he was just a fuzzy blur. All in all, a wonderful three days with the best people I know - our FAMILY! Can't wait until DFC4 next year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
What a fun outing!!
And you told me you are too cautious to take risks! Maybe you are just a late bloomer :-) I took Charles and Samuel to the Grand Canyon while Barbara and the girls were in France years ago. They delighted in scaring the crap out of me at every possible spot along the edge of the canyon. To this day they tell me I spoiled that part of the trip by not letting them walk on the other side of the guard rail right along the edge of a several thousand foot drop off!
I saw your garden today...so fun to be able to grow things...dang those deer!
I'm so terrified of heights that I'm afraid to let my kids go to the top of bleachers, let alone large mountains. :) Hopefully they will not try to give me too many heart attacks.
what a healthy active family! Us Kelleys need to do more stuff like that!!
I enjoyed your vacation from your perspective as well as Sarah's. I vacationed vicariously through you and had a really good time! Our family is taking a road trip to San Luis Obispo in January for my nieces wedding. We will be stuffed in the Expedition (8 of us) but what fun to be with my whole family!
Post a Comment