Friday, August 29, 2008

I've been tagged...

Beka tagged me a few days ago, and since then I have been diligently scouring my brain, trying to come up with seven things about myself that would be even remotely interesting for anyone else to know. So, brace yourself, because here they are, in no particular order:

1. I always make my bed before I exit my bedroom in the morning. This quirk comes from my childhood, when making our beds every day, without fail, was the law of the land for me and my siblings. And, just this week I read in a magazine that if you make your bed, then your bedroom is 80% "clean." Who knew?

2. Given a choice of about a million things to do, I would probably always choose reading. I read a book or two every week. As one of my favorite poets, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, wrote,
"No man can be called friendless who has God and the companionship of good books."

3. I am a planner and an organizer by nature. I sometimes really wish I was more spontaneous, but I just always feel so much more relaxed - say, on a vacation - when I know where we are going, where we are going to spend the night, what the itinerary will be, etc. I've read that this trait probably comes from being the oldest of the six children in my family. You've heard those traits of oldest kids: responsible, compliant, pleaser, organizer, worrier, avoids trouble, and probably see things more black and white than younger siblings might. I pretty much fit that mold.

4. I am crazy-in-love with my husband. 'Nuff said.

5. I love babies - that's probably why I had five of them. It is an amazing thing to partner together with God to create, birth, and nurture life. Being a wife and a mom have been my highest calling. I have been far from a perfect parent, and to the degree that my children are "successful" in life, I can only give grateful credit to God for His grace and faithfulness.

6. After a lifetime aversion to gardening (I've never liked getting dirt under my fingernails), I have found that I really enjoy planting things, watering them, and even weeding, providing I'm wearing my trusty gardening gloves.

7. I had my first-ever pedicure of my 56-year-old life only last month. When we were in Colorado seeing our kids there, our daughter-in-law Nikki treated me to a pedicure. The woman who gave me the treatment could hardly believe it was a first for me. And oh, was it lovely! I think I could get used to having one on a regular basis!

So, there you have it. YOU CAN WAKE UP NOW!!! I think everyone I know has been tagged already. But feel free to tag yourself if you wish!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It was very interesting...1-2 books a week, nice work!!

Chris and Sarah said...

A pity you never passed on the bed making gene to me....

BruceandBarbara said...

Your description of the oldest child just doesn't mesh with my brother (oldest of four) at all!! I used to make my bed first thing. Wonder when I stopped and why...hum. Think I'll bring back that old tradition.
Do you still want to read the DuMaurier book "My Cousin Rachel"? I think we discussed it. I also have her book "Rebecca" and the movie directed by Hitchcock and filmed in the 50's. Good stuff.
Sorry for taking up so much room in your comments!
PS Motherhood is the best!

Tres Dorrs said...

Speaking of pedicures, I could really use an excuse to get another one. See you soon?