Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Hills are Alive (and not just with the sound of music...)

On Tuesday, Mark and I journeyed for the first time to the beautiful Bavarian mountain town of Leavenworth, Washington, where we watched "The Sound of Music" in an outdoor amphitheater. Tickets to see the play were a birthday gift from Mark last month, and our date was August 17th. It was such an incredibly delightful production, performed very professionally by people from the Leavenworth community. So well done. As you can see above, the amphitheater is situated in the forest above the town, and is the perfect setting for the classic musical. When Maria begins singing "The Hills are Alive," she actually comes walking through the trees to the stage. Breathtaking.
This is the actress who played the part of Maria. Fans of the movie will know that Julie Andrews set the bar pretty high, and we wondered beforehand how Maria's voice and acting would be. We need not have worried - this young woman did an amazing job.
Some of the singing nuns! One very fun moment came during the wedding scene, when Maria weds Captain Von Trapp. As Maria, the beautiful bride, descended the hill in her gorgeous wedding gown, and proceeded down the center aisle of the amphitheater, everyone in the audience stood, just as we would at a real wedding. We were all so caught up in the story that it just seemed like the perfectly natural thing to do. Made me cry. ♥
Upon checking into our hotel room, we were greeted by this not-so-little fellow. I took his picture with a dime-sized coin next to him to give you an idea of perspective. He was just inside the door. Yes, inside. Mark got him outside alright, but I captured him and brought him home in a zip-lock bag. Why would I do such a crazy thing? Because I have a blog, and he needed to be documented. Duh. Plus, I thought he was pretty cool. Yes, the hills are indeed alive.

2 comments:

Chris and Sarah said...

KILL THE BEETLE. P.S. - -the play looked GREAT!!!!

erinz said...

Save the beetle for Sarah's insect unit!