Friday, August 27, 2010

The story of two precious bracelets...

Truth be told, I'm not much of a jewelry person, with a few notable exceptions. I have my wedding and engagement rings, which are very simple yet priceless to me, an anniversary band, and a ring that used to belong to my grandmother. I didn't even get my ears pierced until I was 26, and the only earrings I wear are very small. But I have recently been the recipient of two very special pieces of jewelry, both of them bracelets that I am rarely without. The one shown above was a Mother's Day gift from Chris and Sarah, and was handmade by Sarah. It has thirteen beads on it, with each bead representing a person in our family: Mark, Jo, Sarah, Chris, Jake, Beka, Ayeresam, Ben, Christine, David, Nikki, Adelaide, and Hannah. I love that she made it especially for me, and that the beads are the color of each person's birthstone. Also, beads can be added to the bracelet as new people join our family. Love it, love it, love it! ♥
The second bracelet was a recent birthday gift from Dave and Nikki. You'll have to click on these pics to see the details, and when you do, you will see that this lovely piece says "Grammy." There is also a sweet little heart-shaped charm at one end that has two tiny baby footprints impressed in it. This one is precious to me on several levels as well. First, because it represents a wonderful, major change in my life that occurred this year when I became a grandmother. Second, because the word Grammy just makes me so happy! I went through a long thought process trying to decide what I wanted to be called when I became a grandmother. Would I be Grandma? Nana? Mimi? Granny? I have friends and relatives who go by each of these sweet names. I actually thought I had settled on being called Grandma, but somehow it just didn't feel like it quite fit me. Our recent trip to Santa Barbara helped me to solidify my thoughts. In talking to my mom (who is "Grammy" to our kids), I learned that both of my sisters are (or plan to be) "Grammy" to their grandchildren. And Mom told me that she would be so thrilled and honored if I, like her, chose to be called Grammy, too. And so, my decision was made. And it just feels so good and so right. Our grandkids' other grandmothers both go by Grandma, so being Grammy will also give our grandkids different names for each of their grandmothers, which could prove handy. So, thanks Sarah and Chris! Thanks, Dave and Nikki! Love the bracelets, love what they represent, and love you! ♥

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that both of those bracelets hold so much meaning! you are one loved mom/mom-in-law/grammy :)