Monday, February 11, 2008

The Dolma Disaster

Yes, all you smart people out there in blogland, that last picture was of the dolmas we had for dinner on Saturday. No, we did not make them. And yes, they were a new food choice for us. We purchased them at the deli at our wonderful local health food store, where we were assured they were "VERY delicious." So it was with high hopes that we sat down to our dinner that evening. We each took our first bite, looked at each other, made horrific faces, nearly gagged, then burst out laughing. "Wait," I gasped, "I must take a picture first before we do anything else." Hence the picture on our blog. I have since googled various dolma recipes, and it seems like we should LOVE them, as the ingredients are all so great. But ours were, as in the title of the children's book, "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad." I think I'll try making them next time, so if anyone has a great recipe, I'm desperate for it! :-)

3 comments:

Kent Schnake said...

Just judging by the photo, it looks like the grape leaves had begun to undergo anaerobic composting! The leaves shouldn't taste like much more than a mild leaf flavor. It's the filling that makes them tasty. Usually rice and maybe some lamb and lots of spices.

I once bought a bag of gnocci (italian potato dumplings) for me and the boys while Barbara was gone. I think they must have undergone some sort of decomposition, because they smelled like bad feet and tasted about what you would expect something that smelled that way to taste. I had to order gnocci at a restaraunt to prove to myself that they really were good the way I remembered them from many years ago!

Chris and Sarah said...

Mom. If anything looks like that, just don't eat it.

Laurel said...

You don't know me, but I'm Sarah's friend. Nothing could keep me from mentioning that food should not look or taste like that. Best wishes in finding a recipe . . .